Honey is a sugary food manufactured from nectars of various flowers by bees through the processes of regurgitation and evaporation .The readymade honey is stored in the beehive in wax honeycomb where it serves as the basic food source for the bees. This amazing product of the bees has won the hearts of the several people around the globe which is attributed to its unbelievable taste and by extension the therapeutic abilities. Honey is linked to several health benefits and the following are the honey health benefits justifying the need to express appreciation to the bees for this excellent versatile product.
- Cough suppressant-honey is damn significant in saving life in particularly during cold seasons when the coughs are prevalent. Generally honey has been validated by the researchers as being better than other myriad cough relieving approaches. Additionally honey is a potential demulcent, as it covers the throat hence reduces irritation.
- Anti-bacterial, anti-fungal properties and a cure for ailments– honey has been given a recognition as the best natural homemade cure vital for the treatment of wide assortment of infections from bacteria ,athlete foot, yeast ,pain associated to arthritis and other various ailments. This is an implication of its antiseptic nature which is capable of inhibiting the activities as well as the growth of the bacteria. This guards the external cuts, wounds and burns from the risk of being infected. This is linked to its quality of being able to absorb moisture from air thus facilitating healing. The anti-inflammatory property of the honey limits the chances of swelling, scarring and equally relieves excruciating pains. When it comes to wound dressing the recommended type of honey is UMF Manuka which has the antibacterial quality.
- Strengthens the immune system-commencing your day with this cleansing staff is an assurance to an improved system functioning. Honey is best in immune boosting because its antibacterial and anti oxidant properties would leave nothing to chance in ensuring an improved digestive system which will result to ability to combat diseases hence leading to a healthy living. Blending a spoonful of honey and half a cup of lemon juice before breakfast will ensure a perfect result.
- Locks booster-honey provides the remedy for the scalp conditions that are usually characterized by the irritating skin and dandruff. Four weeks of persistent application of the honey will see the disappearance of scaling and an end to itching effect. Blending milk and honey and ensuring its consumption on a daily basis will certainly result into smooth beautiful skin.
- Anti-cancer and remedy to heart disorders-honey has substances such as carcinogen, flavonoids, antioxidants which has the anti-tumor and the preventive qualities. This therefore puts it forth as the potential anti-cancer and by extension reduces the chances of suffering from heart disorders..
- Energy replenishment-carbohydrates, glucose and natural sugars are the important components of honey as they are charged with combating the fatigue. Glucose results into readily available energy as it is directly absorbed by the body since no more digestion is required, this ensures a faster energy boosting. The slow absorption of the fructose on the other hand ensures sustained energy.
- Relieves hangover-honey possesses a blend of natural sugars e.g. fructose which facilitates the speedy oxidation of alcohol by the liver .This substantiates it as a better substance to combat hangover.
- Remedy for the sore throat-the antimicrobial properties of honey enables it to terminate sore throat causative germ thus curing sore throats. Honey is also fundamentally essential for the professional singers as it improves the voice making it mellifluous leading to an excellent performance. For the best result four table spoon of honey blended with an equal amount of lemon juice and a small amount of salt should be taken daily before the breakfast. Warm water mixed with Manuka UMF honey is also infallible in remedying a sore throat and suppressing the cough.
- Remedy for insomnia- honey consumption is good news for those with the inability to sleep as it will perform the magic that would prompt the victim to sleep soundly. A glass of hot milk with teaspoon of honey will yield the best result through calming the nerves and soul thus prompting sleep.
- Probiotic nature- the secretive healing qualities of honey is implicated to some of the varieties of honey which contain a considerably massive amount of useful bacteria. These include about 4 species of bifidobacteria and up to 6 species of lactobacilli.
- Blood sugar regulation- honey possesses two elements that is fructose and glucose that assist the body in maintaining blood sugar level. Even though honey contains sugar most of them are characterized by a low hypoglycemic index thus incapable of raising the blood sugar level.
- Enhances athletic performance -the rationale behind the remarkable performance of the ancient Olympic athletes was nothing other than the consumption of honey and dried figs .Modern researchers have also validated that honey intake maintains glycogen levels and equally enhances recovery time making it the best of all sweeteners.
- Reduction of ulcers and other gastrointestinal disorders -according to the recent research honey has been found to be essential in treatment of ulcers as well as bacterial gastroenteritis. It is therefore used as a natural antiseptic in traditional medicine.
- Antioxidants-it possesses some compounds (nutraceuticals) which are critical in eliminating free radicals from the body. This result into an improved immune system.
- Great source of minerals and vitamins – honey contains various mineral salts and vitamins. The vitamins and minerals types and content is defined by the type of flower used during the manufacturing of the honey. The minerals present in honey include; iron and calcium, while on the other hand Vitamin C is the common one.
In as much as there are numerous honey health benefits better health cannot be realized by solely depending on honey. One must strictly observe other commandments for healthy living such as taking a balanced diet, regular exercise, enough sleep and proper medication.