Apples are regarded as some of the worlds best fruits health wise as they are reloaded with myriad minerals, vitamins, and organic compounds. The essential nutritional elements include; vitamin K, vitamin C, vitamin6, Riboflavin, potassium, magnesium and copper. The significance of apples is dependent upon organic compounds which are notably; the salient dietary fibers (12%), phytonutrients and oxidants which are fundamentally essential in maintaining good health. These organic compounds are implicated to the apples’ ability to combat cancer, diabetes, heart disorders, hypertension and other cardiovascular diseases. Regular consumption of apples is linked to the reduction of LDL -cholesterol and total cholesterol in the body. Below is a nutritional profile and the innumerable health benefits of apples.
- A healthy and proper functioning of digestive system-The rich fiber content in apples are essential in adding bulk to the food, thus improving bowel movements and equally prevents constipation as it facilitates easier passage of food along the digestive track and easier egestion. Furthermore it has the capacity to stimulate the production of digestive juices such as gastric juice, pancreatic juice among other salient juices. Apples are effective in enhancing the functioning of bacteria within the colon and equally alters the metabolism within the digestive system thus eliminates harmful bacteria and maximize the intake of essential nutrients. This provides a reprieve from stomach disorder and equally ensures healthy heart condition and minimizes the risk of atherosclerosis and keeping digestive system healthy and effective.
- Ability to prevent cancer-Apples have proved to be the infallible inhibitor to chronic diseases such as cancer and in particularly lung cancer. In cases where the cancer has grown it reduces the risk of the cancer spreading to other parts of the body. This is an attribute to organic compounds such as quercetin and kaempferol.
- Apples facilitate weigh reduction-just like it is the ability of any other fruit to prompt fullness and satisfaction due to their high fiber content thus reducing the appetite for excessive eating so does the apples. Besides this apples posses another incredible quality that facilitates weight loss. The research shows that apples are capable of speeding up the metabolism so that any calories taken after the consumption of apples doesn’t bear any gravity in the body since they are burnt off at more rapidly rate or no absorption altogether. Therefore apple consumption would be of immense help to millions of populace who are grappling with the excessive weight (obesity) across the globe.
- Remedy to stroke and diabetes-Taking apples after every meal which is likely to be three times a day is essential as it reduces risk of type II diabetes by 7%.This is attributed to their quality to regulate the level of blood sugar. Apples limit the possibility of fatal pressure which is linked to heart attack and stroke.
- Essential for healthy skin-The apple skin and flesh contains salient antioxidants which counters the damaging effects of free radicals which are implicated to wrinkles, premature aging, and age spots among other conditions. Apples are equally essential in enhancing blood circulation therefore ensures the repair and replacement of damaged cells. This results into a young and shiny skin appearance. Pastes that are the products of apples and honey would give a perfect result on the skin.
- Effective for dental care – Apples are essential in maintaining clean teeth and healthy gums. The fiber cleanses the teeth while its antibacterial quality enables it to inhibit the activity of the bacteria which produces an acid which finally leads to tooth cavity. Apples also stimulate saliva secretion which creates an alkaline environment thus limits the chances of growth and multiplication of bacteria in the mouth.
- Apples are remedy to respiratory disorders – Apples have the ability to cure some of the serious respiratory diseases which are instigated by the inflammation of the respiratory cells and membrane. An example of a fatal respiratory disorder is asthma. Apples have got the anti inflammation quality which puts it forth as an outstanding remedy for asthma and other respiratory defects.
- Apples are Curative for neurological diseases – The most common and deadly neurological disorders are Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s. The ability of the apples to cure Alzheimer’s disease which is prompted by the free radical activity is linked to its high content of organic compounds such as phytonutrients and antioxidant. Moreover apples are equally effective in raising the content of acetylcholine in the brain which is implicated to good concentration, memory and problem solving. For the Parkinson’s apples deal with it b slowly crashing down the dopamine-producing nerve cells which is the causative agent of Parkinson’s.
- Reduces the risk of heart diseases – Most of the cardiovascular disorders are caused by imbalanced level of cholesterol in the body. Apples are effective in lowering cholesterol hence improving body’s immunity against cardiovascular disorder. The common say of “an apple a day keeps the medic a way” is more truthful than you would imagine. This is because the daily amount of apple that is considered best for a healthy heart is about one on a daily basis. This life giving quality is attributed to apple’s ability to neutralize various fats and triglycerides that exist between blood vessels that are likely to prompt fatal blood pressure. Quercetin is a very powerful flavonoid that is highly concentrated in the skin of the apples and has the ability to lower the inflammation in the blood vessels. This therefore makes apples great heart boosters.
The above health benefits of apples are justification that indeed an apple a day keeps the doctor a way. The organic apples are the best; ensure you take the apples with the skin as greater percentages of nutrients are in the skin for example vitamins C and vitamin A. It is wise to wash the apples thoroughly before consumption. Though apples are delicious, it is important to proceed with moderation as far as the intake is concerned.