After the first time you tried cooking fried rice I am sure you were left wondering why this easy to fix dish disappointed you more than any other you have tried before. This has happened to most of us if not all of us. Even with the best fried rice recipes there are important things you must consider for the best result.
- Rice quality
This is a key determinant of your results. Always make sure you get the right rice variety. Medium or long grain rice with a firm texture is the best.
- Enough frying pan heat
Make sure that your frying pan is hot enough before you start to cook. Fried rice requires a medium-high heat which should also be well distributed.
- Prepare rice long before cooking
This helps to give rice firm texture on the surface preventing rice from becoming softy, gummy and sticky
- Use the right stirring technique
Push the cooking stick down at 45° until you get to the bottom of the pan
Usual fried rice versions can be so ordinary and boring but there are countless fried rice recipes that can change this dish from average to greatest dish you have in your weekly menu. Let’s start with shrimp fried rice recipe
How to Make Shrimp Fried Rice
What you need:
Yield: 4 Servings
8 ounces small raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
4 cups leftover rice or day old prepared rice
3 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons high smoke point oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce (gluten-free soy sauce is recommended to make it safe for everyone)
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
Freshly ground black pepper
2 stalks green onion, minced
Total Time: 35
Prep: 15 m
Cook: 20 m
- Put the shrimp in a bowl, sprinkle it with pepper, cornstarch and salt, and shake it until it’s well coated. Leave it for 10 minutes
- On high heat, heat a large sauté (ensure heat is well distributed). Make sure it’s very hot; pour 2 teaspoonfuls of oil to coat the pan.
- Spread the shrimp mixture (shrimp, pepper, cornstarch and salt) on the pan in one layer.
- Fry for 30 seconds then turn them to fry the other side for 30 seconds or till they are well cooked. Scoop the shrimp from the pan (use a slotted spoon so as to minimize the amount of oil you scoop together with the shrimp) and put them on a plate.
- Put the pan back on the burner and minimize the heat to medium, add the beaten eggs, stir as you cook until they are cooked but are still runny.
- Scoop the eggs and add to them to the cooked shrimp.
- Clean the pan, put it back on the burner and heat it under high heat until it’s very hot. Pour the remaining oil and wait until it’s almost smoking. Add green onions and mix, sauté for 15 seconds, add the day old prepared rice (or the leftover rice) and mix thoroughly. Spread the mixture on the pan and fry for 2 minutes or until the rice starts to sizzle.
- Using a spatula toss the rice and spread it once more.
- Pour the soy sauce around the rice and mix.
- Add shrimp eggs mixture, peas, carrots and sesame oil as you stir to mix them.
- Heat until sizzling hot.
- Add more soy sauce. (Optional)
There you go! Delicious, easy and quick fried rice recipes.