Soups are common accompaniment of main dishes. We have a collection of great easy homemade soups recipes.
Squash Soup with Cumin Recipe
Yield: 10 servings
What you need:
- 2 butternut squash, medium
- 1 medium onion
- ½ tablespoon cumin, ground
- ¼ tsp. chipotle Chile powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 medium stalks celery
- 2 cups water
- 31/2 cups chicken broth
- Pumpkin seeds, roasted, salted
- Fresh chives to garnish
TOTAL TIME: 1hour 15minutes
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Line a pan with foil and place squash halves with the cut sides facing down. Roast till very tender, easy to pierce with a knife.
- Cool, then scoop squash from the skins and place in a large bowl. You can discard the skins.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot until hot, add celery, onion and cook for 8-10 minutes. Add cumin, chipotle Chile, salt and the freshly ground pepper and cook for 30 seconds. Stir as you cook.
- Add water, broth and squash to the cooking pot and heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Put small portions of squash mixture into blender and blend till pureed.
- Pour soup into the cooking pot and heat through.
- Garnish each serving with pumpkin seeds and chives.
Serve alongside your favourite main dish