Chicken thighs are not only tasty, they are also inexpensive and easy to prepare. Grilled, baked or slow cooked chicken thigh recipes are perfect for any day, any time meal.
Let’s start with easy baked Sweet Hot Mustard Chicken Thighs recipe
Sweet Hot Mustard Chicken Thighs recipe
Yield: 8 chicken thighs (8 servings)
What you need:
8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
½ cup Dijon mustard (or any other type of sweet hot mustard)
1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup red wine vinegar
4 cloves of garlic, minced
½ teaspoon ground dried chipotle pepper
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pinch Cayenne pepper
1 onion, sliced into ½-inch rings
Cooking spray/ vegetable oil
Preparation -20 m
Ready In- 5 h
- Using a sharp knife make two slashes clockwise into the skin and meat of each chicken thigh to the bone. Each cut should be around 1 inch.
- Transfer the thighs into a plastic resealable bag.
- Mix vinegar, garlic, mustard, mustard powder, chipotle pepper, black pepper, salt, brown sugar and cayenne in one bowl and Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the mixture (now ready marinade) into the bag with the thighs. Squeeze the bag while working the marinade over the thighs and into every cut to make sure they are fully and well coated. Seal the bag and leave it in the fridge for at least four hours or overnight (overnight is recommended for the best flavour)
- When you are ready to bake, move a rack to the centre of the oven. Preheat the oven to 450°. Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil and spray the foil using the cooking spray ( or slightly oil it with vegetable oil)
- Put the onion rings on foil in a single layer, and then place the chicken thighs on top of the rings, cut side up. Spray or brush each thigh lightly with vegetable oil then sprinkle them with salt and additional cayenne (optional)
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes, until the skin is browned well, meat is tender, and juices run clear.
- Move the chicken and onions onto a serving platter. Pour pan drippings into a saucepan, bring to a boil while stirring frequently till drippings are reduced by half ( 3 to 4 minutes) then skim excess fat from pan sauce ( this is done to add richness)
- Spoon reduced pan sauce over each the chicken thigh and serve. (provide a spoon for the sauce)